Friday, July 4, 2008

Nurnberg's Christmas Town (Day 1) - Part 1

Following the long haul flight, I was really relieved to check in to the hotel and deposit my luggage.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hilton is always my choice for hospitality:)
I was a little disappointed that my room is not available yet although I requested for early check-in. But understandably, there was a weekend event in Nurnberg near Hilton.
Coincidentally, there is a stadium near Hilton and there was this music festival or concert by an Italian rock group that weekend.
There were so many campers and caravans parked nearby; packed with eager music fans.

I was a little tired but the hotel staff were so accommodating (they even offered me breakfast while waiting for my room to be ready!) that I did not feel so agitated at the check-in issue.

Despite being tired, I took a quick shower and was really enthusiastic to visit the famous little Christmas town on my first day.
I purchased my 2-day pass at 4.80 Euro to take unlimited rides on either the bus or their Bahn. I chose the train although the bus stop was right in front of the hotel; due to the faster speed of the train.
I walked a short while to the train station and was a little insecure in the beginning due to the tunnel roads leading to the station.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Frankenstadion was the name of the train station near Hilton; and it did not take me too long to wait for my train to arrive as there will be one scheduled every 15 minutes.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
** In Europe, you will need to validate your tickets upon purchase. You will find a little machine in the shape of a box at every station.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
The tickets will be inspected randomly by a conductor in the train or the bus every now and then.
For my pass, I don't need to validate though.
I find them really trusting as they don't really inspect all the time.
In fact, I didn't encounter any conductor until the last day.

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
There was really nothing to wow about their train station as I find it similar to our KTM station in KL:)
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

I finally reached the main station; Hauptbahnof which is the entrance to the unique town which was the pride of Nurnbergers.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
There are cyclists waiting to buy tickets using this machine
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The main entrance into the city
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I really liked their scenery and their Renaissance period buildings.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
And the weather was really cool despite it being summer time!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Vodafone
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The weather was gloomy and it was not long before it started to rain!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Bummer....just when I was enjoying capturing pics and I had just walked about 1 block away from the station.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
I quickly found shelter near the buildings
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

To my delight, I found a little shop tucked away in a corner selling Lebkuchen (gingerbread and cakes) which is a famous specialty of Nurnberg.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
It was also sad that they were closed on that day.
**Most of the shops are closed on Sundays (Sabbath Day)**
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Christmassy, I am already in Christmas mood!
It's no wonder this is a Christmas Town!!:D

I really love the buildings here
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

Roman Catholic and Christianity is the dominant religion in Germany and there is no wonder churches, chapels and cathedrals are erected around the whole town and even the country.
In fact, it is also part of the unique theme in the entire Europe!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
There are 2 main churches here in Nurnberg town; one is the Protestant church (this one) and the other; further and nearer to the Hauptmarkt is the Catholic church.
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

There are lots of water fountains along the street
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com
Keinwasser
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

The streets just remind me of the scenes I have seen in the movies and it is nice:) A different style from our local streets!
Hosted by RockYouPhotos.com

(To be continued...)

1 comment:

  1. It is so lucky to read your blog,it is full of useful message.I wish we both can do better in the future. It great honour if you can visit our website,and give us some suggession.

    hotels nurnberg

    ReplyDelete

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism ToolProtected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Tool